Welcome to my post!
In this post, we will be discussing a topic that is relevant to online education – the profitability of Skillshare. Skillshare is an online learning platform that offers a wide range of courses on various topics such as creative writing, graphic design, business, and technology. Many people use Skillshare as a way to learn new skills or improve their existing ones.
However, there is an ongoing debate as to whether Skillshare is a profitable investment in terms of one’s time and money. Therefore, in this post, I will be examining the pros and cons of Skillshare, as well as its financials, to help you decide whether Skillshare is worth your time and money. Additionally, I will also be mentioning some alternative online learning platforms that you could consider.
If you’re someone who is interested in online education and are considering using Skillshare, then this post is definitely for you! Read on to find out more.
- Low cost to entry: Skillshare’s pricing model is affordable for most people, with plans as low as $8.25 per month (when billed annually). This makes it accessible for people who don’t have a lot of money to invest in learning new skills.
- Large library of courses: Skillshare has a vast library of courses, with over 30,000 courses available to choose from. This means that you are likely to find a course on almost any topic you’re interested in.
- Variety of topics: Skillshare offers a variety of topics, ranging from creative writing to business management, and from technology to cooking. This means that learners have a lot of options to choose from, and can explore different areas of interest.
- Interactive learning: Skillshare offers an interactive learning experience, with most courses including projects and assignments that learners can complete. This means that learners can apply the concepts they learn in a practical setting, which can help with retention and application of the knowledge gained.
- Opportunities for teachers: Skillshare allows anyone to become a teacher and design their own courses. As a teacher, you can earn money through your courses, which can be a source of income for some people.
- Limited course selection: While Skillshare has a vast library of courses, there are still some topics that are not covered, or have very few options available. This can be limiting for learners who are looking for courses in more niche areas.
- Quality of courses may vary: Because anyone can become a teacher on Skillshare and create courses, the quality of courses can vary widely. Some courses may be of high quality and taught by experts in their field, while others may be poorly structured or taught by someone with little experience in that area.
- Limited interaction with teachers: Because Skillshare is an online platform, learners may have limited interaction with their teachers, and may not be able to ask questions or get feedback in real-time. This can be frustrating for learners who prefer a more hands-on learning experience.
- Limited certificate value: While Skillshare does offer certificates of completion for some courses, these certificates may not hold much value outside of the Skillshare platform. This means that they may not be recognized by employers or other educational institutions.
Skillshare operates on a subscription-based business model, where learners pay a monthly or annual fee to access the platform’s courses. Additionally, Skillshare also offers a premium subscription plan that gives learners additional features and benefits.
According to Skillshare’s financials, the company has been experiencing strong revenue growth over the years, with revenue increasing from $1 million in 2014 to $50 million in 2020. However, despite this growth, Skillshare is not currently profitable. In its 2020 annual report, the company reported a net loss of $12.6 million.
While Skillshare has been successful in attracting many learners to its platform, it has also been investing heavily in marketing and technology, which has contributed to its losses. According to Michael Karnjanaprakorn, Skillshare’s CEO, the company is focused on growth and is willing to sacrifice profitability in the short-term to achieve its long-term goals.
Overall, while Skillshare is not currently profitable, it has been experiencing strong revenue growth, and the company has expressed confidence in its long-term strategy. As a learner, the question of whether Skillshare is profitable may not be as relevant as whether the platform offers value for your money, which is something you can evaluate based on your needs and preferences.
If you’re looking for alternative online learning platforms, here are some options to consider:
- Udemy: Udemy is a popular online learning platform that offers courses on a variety of topics, from development to business to personal development. Udemy has both free and paid courses, with prices that vary depending on the course you choose.
- Coursera: Coursera offers courses from some of the world’s top universities and organizations, including Yale, Stanford, and Google. Coursera offers both free and paid courses, with prices ranging from $29 to $99 per course.
- LinkedIn Learning: LinkedIn Learning is an online learning platform that offers courses on business, technology, and creative skills. LinkedIn Learning is offered as a subscription service, which costs $29.99 per month, or $19.99 per month if paid annually.
- Codecademy vs DataCamp vs Pluralsight vs Udacity: These are all platforms that offer coding courses, with each platform having its unique approach and focus. If you want to compare these platforms side by side, check out this article.
Each of these platforms has its own pros and cons, so it’s important to explore each one and see which one aligns with your learning needs and preferences.
If you’re using Skillshare as a way to learn new skills or improve your existing ones, here are some tips to help you maximize your learning:
- Choose courses carefully: With so many courses to choose from, it’s important to choose courses that align with your learning goals and interests. Before enrolling in a course, read the reviews and check the course syllabus to make sure it’s a good fit for you.
- Engage with the community: Skillshare has a strong sense of community, with learners and teachers from all over the world. Participate in the community by leaving comments, asking questions, and collaborating with other learners on projects.
- Take advantage of free trials: Skillshare offers a 14-day free trial, which gives you access to all the platform’s courses. Take advantage of this by trying out different courses and seeing which ones you enjoy the most.
- Be consistent in learning: Consistency is key when it comes to learning. Make a schedule for yourself and set aside time each day or each week to work on your courses. This will help you make progress and avoid getting overwhelmed.
By following these tips, you can make the most out of your Skillshare experience and achieve your learning goals.
– Skillshare has been around since 2010 and has amassed a community of over 12 million members.
– Skillshare’s business model relies on a subscription-based membership model, where learners pay a monthly or annual fee to access the platform’s courses.
– Reports indicate that Skillshare raised $66 million in funding, suggesting that investors have confidence in the platform’s profitability.
– In comparing platforms that offer online courses, Pluralsight and Udemy stand out as significant competitors to Skillshare. To read more about Pluralsight vs Udemy, check out this article.
– Skillshare’s profitability is a crucial consideration for investors, teachers, and learners alike.
According to reports, Skillshare is currently generating revenue and is profitable.
Skillshare generates revenue from its premium subscription model and takes a percentage of teacher’s earnings.
Skillshare offers a free membership and a premium membership for $15 per month or $99 per year.
Yes, Skillshare offers a 14-day free trial for its premium membership.
Skillshare offers courses on a variety of topics, including design, business, technology, writing, and more.
Skillshare competes with other platforms like Udemy, Coursera, and LinkedIn Learning. Each platform has its unique features, course offerings, and pricing models.
Skillshare does not offer official certification on course completion. However, learners can showcase their completed projects on their Skillshare profile.
Yes, you can cancel your membership at any time by visiting your account settings.
Yes, Skillshare allows anyone to create and publish their courses on the platform.
Some tips include choosing courses carefully, actively engaging with the community, utilizing free trials, and consistently learning.
Jenny, a 35-year-old graphic designer, had always been passionate about her craft. However, lately, she felt like she wasn’t advancing any further in her career. She decided to take a night class but found herself too busy to keep up with the coursework. That’s when she discovered a promising platform called Skillshare.
Jenny initially had her doubts about paying for a subscription, but the free trial was enough to convince her to try it out. She found a variety of courses on illustration, branding, and typography, and soon found herself engrossed in learning. Each course was beginner-friendly, yet advanced enough to challenge her creative outlook.
As she delved deeper, Jenny started to develop new skills and ideas for her portfolio. The platform’s interactive community allowed her to connect with other creatives and share projects for feedback. Within just a few months, she had landed her dream project, designing a logo for a notable start-up in the tech industry.
Looking back on her journey, Jenny is grateful for the opportunity Skillshare had given her. The platform had not only helped her advance in her career, but it had also allowed her to find a like-minded community of fellow designers. She could honestly say that her investment in Skillshare had paid off for her in ways she never could have imagined.
In this post, we have explored the question of whether Skillshare is a profitable investment, as well as the pros and cons of the platform. While Skillshare is not currently profitable, it has been experiencing strong revenue growth, and the company’s focus on long-term growth is a positive sign for learners who are invested in the platform.
If you’re considering using Skillshare, it’s important to evaluate whether the platform offers value for your money and aligns with your learning needs and preferences. However, it’s also important to remember that the question of whether online courses, in general, are worth the investment is a bigger one.
If you’d like to explore this question further, check out this article that delves into the topic in more detail.
Ultimately, when it comes to online education, the value you get out of it is directly related to the effort you put in. Whether you decide to use Skillshare or another online learning platform, be consistent in your learning, engage with the community, and choose courses carefully, and you’ll be well on your way to achieving your learning goals.